For any woodwind instrument, and bowed & plucked melody string instruments
DATE: Saturday 7th May 2022
TIME: 10.00am - 4.30pm
WHERE: The Locks Inn, Geldeston, Beccles, Suffolk, NR34 0HW
Fun, friendly and welcoming workshops for woodwind and string players, led by experienced professional musicians John Dipper (strings) and Vicki Swan (wind). The day offers an inspirational mix of tutored small group learning and mixed strings/wind playing together.
- Tunes and harmonies/accompaniments learnt by ear, with sheet music available.
- Learn how to work out harmonies/accompaniments to enrich and enhance your favourite tunes.
- Boost your playing confidence and technique, explore British and Swedish folk tunes.
Sorry, but this workshop day is not suitable for beginner instrumentalists, or guitars
The Locks Inn is a delightfully tranquil and traditional riverside pub that is well known for its music nights and community events. Boats can be moored alongside. It began life as a mill-keepers cottage and has been an inn since the 17th century. It became a community owned pub in 2021. www.thelocksinn.com
- 9.30 - 10.00 Arrival and Registration/Coffee
- 10.00 - 11.30 1st Instrumental Workshop (wind & strings in separate rooms)
- 11.30 -11:45 Tea/Coffee Break
- 11:45 -1 2:30 2nd Workshop - wind & strings together
- 12.30-1.30 LUNCH
- 1.30 - 3.00 3rd Instrumental Workshop (wind & strings in separate rooms)
- 3.00 – 3:15 Tea/Coffee Break
- 3:15 - 4.30 4th Workshop - wind & strings together
Evening playing session at The Locks Inn- open to workshop participants and local musicians & singers. Flexible start/finish time
- East Anglian Traditional Music Trust www.eatmt.org.uk
- Terry Mann (maker of early & folk woodwind) www.terrymann.net
- Rod Ward (maker of traditional fiddles) www.wardviolins.com
FOOD & DRINK
The pub will be open to the general public all day/evening serving food and drink as normal. There are tables inside and outside with views of the river. The menu will be available nearer the time and include vegan and vegetarian options. We wish to support The Locks Inn in its’ new role as a community pub, so if you prefer to bring your own food it should not be eaten on the pub premises.
The postcode is NR34 0HW. There is a map/directions on www.facebook.com/TheLocksInn/about.
Geldeston is a village in Norfolk. The villages of Kirby Cane, Ellingham and Gillingham are close by.
CAR: From Geldeston take Station Road south out of the village, and then turn left down Lock's Lane. This is a long lane that will take you down to the Inn, which lies alongside the River Waveney. Parking available.
PARKING: Disabled parking spaces are available outside the pub. A bigger car park is available just before the pub, about 2 minutes walk away.
TRAIN: Nearest station is Beccles on the Ipswich/Lowestoft (East Suffolk) line. Beccles railway station is approx 3 miles to Geldeston village. The bus service to Geldeston village is limited so a taxi is advised. Local local taxi firms include: Goldline 01502 711611, Kim’s Kabs 01502 712213, Waveney Taxis 01502 733733.
BUS: Although regular buses run to Beccles from Diss, Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft and Norwich, the bus service from Beccles to Geldeston village (Simmonds bus 581) is limited, so a taxi from Beccles is advised.
BOAT or CANOE: For something different, why not consider a river journey?
You can hire boats and canoes in Beccles and sail up the river to the The Locks Inn (www.hippersons.co.uk).
The bigdogferry runs between the The Locks Inn and Beccles Lido. Contact https://bigdogferry.co.uk.
WHERE TO STAY
- The Three Rivers Campsite (motorhomes, campervans, tents etc) approx 10 mins walk from the Locks Inn and adjacent to the river. threeriverscamping.co.uk.
- Rowan Craft Marina includes a campsite by the river Waveney in Geldeston. https://rowancraft.co.uk
Beccles: has hotels and B&B. Hippersons Boatyard on the edge of the town has self-catering pods and houseboats and is approx 10 minutes drive to Geldeston village. www.hippersons.co.uk/stay.